Re: moved system to different partition; grub boot problems

On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 10:12:19AM -0700, Ric Otte wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently had some problems with my sata drive (sda), so I got an IDE drive,
> did a fresh install of etch to partition 1 (hdc1), put home on partition 4
> (hdc4), and left partition 2 blank.  I then copied my sid system from sda10
> to hdc2, using dd.  Everything looks fine in hdc2, and when I mount it while
> in etch, I find everything there.  I have the computer first boot off of the
>
> I thought I put the entries in menu.lst correctly (correct me if I'm wrong),
> and I'm wondering if the initrd.img or vmlinuz files are indexed to the
> particular drive they are on (and thus wouldn't work by simply using dd to
> copy them over).  I thought it might be the old grub on the sata drive, so I
> removed the menu.lst file from the first partition on the sata drive, but am
> still getting booted into the sata drive.  Does anyone have any thoughts
> about how to boot into the sid system on the IDE's second partition?  I don't
> know what is telling it to boot from sda10 instead of hdc2.

your menu list looks fine, i think its an initrd issue (my standard
answer to all questions today). The directive to look for sda10 is
hard coded into the initrd and it needs to be rebuilt to look for the
other partiion. boot a working system, mount and chroot into the
non-working system and rebuild the initrd (probably yaird).