MySQL install on Etch

Hi,

I'm having a problem installing MySQL 5 on etch. Currently, when MySQL
goes through set up, the following error happens:

Error in my_thread_global_end(): 1 threads didn't exit

Then the process just hangs. I've tried purging, and reinstalling
MySQL, but it still doesn't set up. Sometimes it will get as far as
creating the tables in /var/lib/mysql , but when it tries to start
MySQL, it always fails.

Any help in finding an answer to this would be appreciated.

Thank you.