Re: Disabling Write-Caching

On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 15:39 +1000, CaT wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 01:28:38AM -0400, Greg Folkert wrote:
> > caching is still okay to use. Why else would manufacturers put cache
> > ON-BOARD the  hard-drives if it was BAD... do you think they LIKE
> > SPENDING MONEY on things that won't be used? They would rather just not
> > include it and save more money.
>
> To improve benchmark performance and have ever increasing numbers
> describing the porduct available so as to increase sales. Coincidentally
> it does also have a positive effect on percieved HD performance.
>
> DB monkies generally like turning it off as it has proven to cause data
> loss in certain corner cases. Good DB monkies tend to be very paranoid
> of their data.

Do these DB monkies also force multi-million dollar system with 32GB
caching controllers (with battery backup for the RAM) to turn off the
cache?

I've seen it, forcing the $COMPANY to invest in even larger machines,
with diminishing results. Turn cache back on, it is like a whole nuther
20 processors added. We are talking Multi-vpath stuff here.

Good DBMonkies also force the DB software to do a sync'd write through
to the drives or logical drive in any case. Blah, no tthe place to
discuss this vitriol.

Screwy. And if they are using PATA drives on critical data, stupid.
Unless they are behind a SAN or something similar... which is going to
have huge caching involved caching.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup