Re: Disabling Write-Caching

On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 07:03 +0200, Jonathan Kaye wrote:
> I see that Lenny came to town yesterday. I've been tracking Testing and
> yesterday doing an update+upgrade gave me about 230 packages to upgrade.
> All went normally and my system is still purring along happily :-) I did
> get a warning about hdparm. It said that /dev/hda had Write chaching
> enabled and this was not a good idea because in the event of a power
> failure it could cause serious data loss.
>
> Not being one to argue, I dutifully did #hdparm -W 0 /dev/hda and now
> write-caching is no longer enabled. For my own reassurance, was this the
> sensible thing to do?

Yeah... personally, that is someone smoking the "paranoia" crack. I've
only ever had problems when I was using a couple of western digital
drives and then it was corrected by firmware updates to the drives.
(replacement from Western Digital)

Show me where this has really been a problem in the last 4 years. Before
then, maybe. Things have changed firmware has gotten better, write
caching is still okay to use. Why else would manufacturers put cache
ON-BOARD the  hard-drives if it was BAD... do you think they LIKE
SPENDING MONEY on things that won't be used? They would rather just not
include it and save more money.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup