Re: DPMS stops working (ATI, openGl issue?)

On Mon, 2007-04-09 at 20:13 -0700, Erik Steffl wrote:
> Sven Arvidsson wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-04-09 at 01:28 -0700, Erik Steffl wrote:
> >>    When I start X DPMS is working (monitor is turned off), however after
> >> some time it stops working (i.e. monitor is always on).
> > [...]
> >>    fglrx-driver 8.31.5-1 (proprietary driver)
> >
> > The first thing I would try to eliminate would be the proprietary
> > drivers. Try without them, and see if things improve.
>
>    but free drivers have no openGL so that's not going to help me, as
> far as I know they are not similar at all so if I figure out that free
> drivers work it won't shed any more light on proprietary drivers.
>
>    I checked http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/R300 for the status of free
> driver, seems like the work is progressing but it's not ready yet (as
> far as I can tell).
>
>    any other ideas? did anybody else notice that openGL (or somnething)
> disables DPMS?

He said, TRY IT FOR A SHORT TIME. Not forever. It is a tried and true
troubleshooting method. Chnage one thing at a time until you find the
issue. It might not be the problem.

I am guessing that the REAL culprit is an OpenGL screensaver. Change
your screensaver to just "blank the screen" and then see if things pan
out or not. Also, if you are using the "GNOME Screensaver" remove it and
install the xscreensaver and xscreensavergl packages. There are some
inconsistent things that happen with the GNOME version.

Recently someone else had complaints about log entries, thinking they
were being cracked or something silly. But turned out to be a
screensaver that hadn't quite been updated.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup