Re: Desktop user: Etch or the next testing?

Michael Pobega wrote:
>>> Depends who you're aiming to appeal. I run a x86 machine, and I really
>>> see no problem with an old glibc. I'd rather have Debian stay the
>>> stable distro it is than worry about having everything "up to date".
>>> It's not the computer you're aiming to please, it's the end user. And
>>> it's up to the end user to decide what he/she wants out of a
>>> distribution.
>> Very true.  Nothing is forcing anyone to choose Debian, unless of course
>> it is forced by their employer, but somehow I doubt that.  You're quite
>> correct in pointing out the end user is the target, but I sometimes
>> wonder which end user Debian is targeting, administrators or average
>> people wanting to get work done with their computer.
>
>> The way I see it, it could be both.  The greatest benefit I see to
>> Debian is the fact that one can install a minimal system and then build
>> it to suit their needs without having to compile anything if they don't
>> want to.  There are only a few others like that, and they don't have
>> near the number of developers that Debian has, nor do they support
>> nearly as many packages.
>
>> Joe
>

> The thing about Debian is that it had most of things I was looking for
> in a distro, at the time I was distro-hopping:
>
> 1) A democratic and community based distro
>
> Right now I'm young and just learning Python, so I really can't do
> much. But when I graduate from college I'm planning on developing for
> whatever distribution I choose. Debian's firm commitment to staying
> community based and democratic is definitely a plus, because I know in
> five years when I'm out of college it will still be here for me.
>

> 2) A distribution that supports free software
>
> Not just supports, but encourages. Debian also goes the extra mile to
> have the DFSG, which in my opinion should be a license in itself. I
> use Debian with only the main repositories enabled, no flash
> installed, and all of my CDs burned to .ogg format. I'm a firm
> supported of open source software, not only that but free as in
> freedom software. The only thing I use that is non-free would be for
> my ipw3945 wireless, but that's because I can't live without my
> wireless (I paid for it, why not use it?).
>

> 3) Stability
>
> I use Debian testing, and although that isn't the most stable release
> of a distro ever it sure beats a lot of others (Ubuntu, Fedora, and
> others) when it comes to stability. Testing is a nice, stable rolling
> release, and I also feel like I'm doing my part to help the next
> stable release by reporting bugs that I run into in testing. Although
> I haven't seen too many, I report every single one I see.
>

> 4) Rolling releases
>
> Even though Debian releases are given names like "Woody", "Sarge", and
> "Etch", testing and unstable are really rolling release distributions.
> The only other distribution that has rolling releases (Or, no releases
> [...]

I would say that this is a perfect pitch for Debian.  You couldn't have
said it better.  The only point that I refute, and you know it exists
because you mention the package manager.  Arch has a rolling release as
well, but it is not renowned for stability.

There are no other distributions that meet all the requirements that you
set other than one, and that is Debian.  It explains exactly why you are
here.  It explains mostly why I am here.  However, I don't consider
stability as important as functionality.  I would of course, prefer both.

Joe
- --