Re: Desktop user: Etch or the next testing?

---- Wei Chen wrote:
> So I'd say that maybe Stable is really not for Desktop use.
> Testing is the best choice because it is neither too dangerous
> nor too old.

What do you think about adding a new release type maybe called
"current"? Then our release structure would look like this:

              -------------
              | Unstable  |------
              -------------     |
                    |           |
                    |           |
               -----------      |
               | Testing |      |
               -----------      |
                    |           |
           -------------------- |
           |                  | |
       ----------       -----------
       | Stable |       | Current |
       ----------       -----------

Current would get both security and feature updates. We could
advertise this as the perfect blend of stability and up-to-date
software. Immediately after a release, Current would lag behind
Testing so it would be more stable. Conversely, during the freeze
we might be able to pull some packages from Unstable.

I am pretty new to Debian so I am sure there are a thousand
reasons why the above is a bad idea, or just too hard to
implement. But it seems like it's worth discussing. And before
anyone gives me a hard time let me say, "I am not complaining".

--
Glen