Re: Evo vs. Icedove (was Re: Woohooo! Dell + Linux)

On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 14:39:05 -0400
Greg Folkert <greg@gregfolkert.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 13:15 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > How much memory does Evo use?  I switched from Evo to ID because of
> > bloat and Evo's ties to GNOME, but ID has RES 81m and SHR 23m.  So
> > I'm thinking of reinstalling Evo.
> >

> Using XFce as my environment, while replying to your message:
>
>          VIRT  RES  SHR
>          138m  57m  21m evolution
>
> But then that really isn't including the backend processes for
> evolution.
>
>          VIRT  RES  SHR
>          235m 9.9m 5408 evolution-data-server
>         36160 9296 7764 evolution-exchange-storage
>         67692 9.8m 8364 evolution-alarm-notify
>
> Of course, you can turn off the exchange and alarm notify now. I just
> haven't. So in reality the RES for ALL processes is 85.9m and the SHR
> for all is 42.4m, roughly equivalent if you are lazy.
>
> But, I can say the ONLY part my evo is having any problem with is,
> moving messages to and from the "high-count" folders. But that would
> apply to icedove or any other mail-client.
>
> I am using: Evolution 2.8.2.1 from experimental.
> --

> the playfield. -- Thane Walkup

Thought I'd just stick my oar in and recommend Sylpheed as a Gtk based mail client it's extremely fast and configurable and has all the functionality you'll probably need (except html mail).  It stores mail in the mh and not mbox format so it doesn't mess up like Thunderbird / Icedove does if you have a mailbox with a lot of messages in it.  Tried Evolution but found it to be too slow and unstable.

Ananda Samaddar