Re: Desktop user: Etch or the next testing?

Wei Chen:

> But I once heard that things in the "Testing" distribution always change
> gradually. And the big gap between stable and testing will cause the
> upgrade not so easy after some time of the release of stable. Is that true?

Yes, more or less. If you do upgrades, there is always a chance that
some package needs special attention because of changes in config files
etc. And the more packages you upgrade at a time, the more likely it is
that you have encounter such package upgrades. But generally, this
amounts to the same work that you have have to do when upgrading daily,
the only difference is that you have to do it all at once.

But waiting has the advantage that you are less likely to encounter
serious problems and that the upgrade path of each package has been
tested and maybe even polished up a bit.

J.
--
After the millenium I will shoot to kill.
[Agree]   [Disagree]