Re: GPG and Signing

On 04/01/07 10:23, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 14:48:54 +0000
> Joe Hart <j.hart@orange.nl> wrote:
>
> Hello Joe,
>
>>> You can *send* it them.  They're unlikely to be able to *read* it,
>>> though.   :-)
>> LOL.  You've got that right.
>
> It's the pedant in me.
>
>>> Since various governments stopped trying to prosecute Phil
>>> Zimmerman, conspiracy theorists say that they (the governments)
>>> have found a sure-fire algorithm or crack for PGP.
>> I kind of thought so.  I also have serious doubts over the real
>> security benefits of SELinux specifically because it was developed by
>> the NSA. It is not rational that they would design a security system
>
> I hadn't realised that.  Mind you, I've never investigated SELinux, so
> it wouldn't have become apparent to me, anyway.
>
>> that they could not access, and then release it to the public.
>> I guess that's the pessimist in me thinking that.
>
> I say realist.   ;-)

Since the source code is open for all to see, every kernel hacker
with a bit of paranoia has pored over SELinux with a sub-micron
comb.  They've found nothing.

>>> an intellectual exercise.  Visit http://www.distributed.net/ for
>>> more info.
>> I will.  I wondered why the export of encryption was relaxed so as to
>
> RC5 is an interesting exercise, but serves no real purpose.  Whereas

Like SETI?

> one of distributed's other projects, OGR, has some real value.
>
>>> Hmmm, I talk to too many conspiracy theorists.......
>> Well, with the fact that most internet traffic is being monitored by
>> government institutions, I would think that this message is now being
>> read by the programs that flag "suspected" mail specifically because
>> you mentioned the flagged words.
>
> Maybe, but with every Tom, Dick and Harry using some of those "suspect"
> words in their everyday conversations, emails, and texts, they're
> probably swamped with stuff.  They must have some way of sifting
> through it rapidly.

Emacs users thought of that long ago.  Since at least the Carnivore
days there has been an emacs extension that fills your .signature
with random "hot" words.

[snip]

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.