Re: Is it possible to get the database of packages.debian.org?

On Sun, 2007-04-01 at 17:26 +0200, jfr.fg@freenet.de wrote:
> >In other words, please tell us what information you are really wanting
> >out of your search and what the results might look like.
>
> What I like in this search feature is the possibility
> to get all informations immediately on one page,
> without having to vary commandline options:
>
> exact name, short and long description,
> other packages related on it, Package Contents, maintainer
>

> the package dpkg-www   http://packages.debian.org/stable/doc/dpkg-www
> is quite similar, but it doesn't allow to search for packages,
> which were never installed on a system or which aren't yet in sources.list.
>
> to write the following in the config-file didn't help:
> DEBIAN_CONTENTS="/local-directory/Contents-i386.gz"
> LIST_UNAVAILABLE=1

Well, in that case "apt-cache show dpkg-www" will do the trick as shown
here:

----begin output
greg@princess:~$ apt-cache show dpkg-www
Package: dpkg-www
Section: doc
Installed-Size: 204
Maintainer: Massimo Dal Zotto <dz@debian.org>
Architecture: all
Version: 2.52
Depends: apt, dwww, info2www, perl | perl5, apache2 | httpd
Suggests: dlocate, grep-dctrl, mozilla-firefox | www-browser, man2html, tasksel
Filename: pool/main/d/dpkg-www/dpkg-www_2.52_all.deb
Size: 31882
MD5sum: fd69aee64039c43ad775c9dcbaa8d5d7
SHA1: c2242486a1ecd049e555712e4f1ce879442aa7e3
SHA256: e13cb1a9277270b110c3f6d73d45ff71344d55694a9777af5c48b44b7aaf5b0c
 With the dpkg cgi-bin you can browse Debian packages on a local or
 remote host using a normal WEB browser.
 .
 You can list packages, show package information and installed files,
 browse documentation and navigate through the packages dependencies.
 You can also find all the packages owners of a file or directory or
 those providing a virtual package.
 .
 If you are the system administrator you can also install or remove
 packages by clicking on the buttons found in the package info page,
 provided that this feature has been enabled and you have properly
 configured your WEB browser.
Tag: admin::package-management, interface::web, network::server, protocol::http, role::program, suite::debian, use::browsing, web::cgi, works-with::software:package

----end output
This shows you everything you want to know in a VERY parsable output.

Sorry for the long line... its the way it came.

What objection is there for that? If you have one, maybe we can find
another tool for you, there are a tremendous amount that all work with
the local info, with no need for being on-line.

And the reason it shows v2.52, is that I use Sid. But the output in
*nearly* identical in Sarge.

--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup