Re: Accessing windows partition through debian etch

andy wrote:
Hi all

I've run into a problem: the win98 partition on my wife's machine seems fried with a very unhelpful error message. I can access it in safe mode which is not very helpful because I want to back up the info from there onto a CD and safe mode doesn't recognise the cd-drive (!). So, my next option is to reach across the Debian/windows divide and bring the directories needed into the Debian partition. I used to be able to do this kind of thing using Slackware and with root permissions could access the windows partition quite readily. However, Debian just isn't picking up anything at all to do with the windows partition so I can't access it from within Deb.

Is there a way I can do this, because if I run the windows setup (like the error message on windows is telling me to do) it'll toast the windows and the Debian partitions and lose everything.

Any thoughts/help/advice? Please!

Thanks

/@

I will try with knoppix, i just helped my friend with
problem like yours.

/ Jiri

PS

Knoppix 5.1.1  can  also access and resize NTFS.