Re: Debian User List

On Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 08:45:15PM -0500, John C wrote:

> Greg Folkert wrote:
> >>I said this once before and got shot down, but here it is again:
> >>
> >>If this list is supposed to be for idle chit-chat among the debian
> >>community, then we really have no mailing list specifically for people to
> >>talk about debian, or get help about debian. We should have at least
> >>another
> >>list, probably "debian-help".
> >
> >Okay, so why would *I* subscribe to that list?
> >

> A better question would be.. Why would those who are tired of the
> OT bull sessions want you to?

Could it be because Greg is *very* knowledgable about Debian?  Could it
be because he offers a great deal of excellent advice on this list?

> It would probably be a lot better for the new users to help
> themselves than to be pawns for your ego. Sure they'll make
> mistakes, but I suspect they'll learn more in the long run.

Blind leading the blind?  Yeah, that will be a smashing success, I
imagine.  Part of the point of a community like this is about learning
from mistakes.  "A smart man learns from his own mistakes.  A wise man
learns from the mistakes of others."  Come to this list, ask your
question, and you will usually be inundated with "wisdom."  Create a
newbie-only list and you will lose out on lots of wisdom.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez