Re: SMTP error: 550 Administrative prohibition

Uwe Dippel <udippel@uniten.edu.my> writes:

> On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 19:01:12 -0500, Haines Brown wrote:
>
>> I've lost e-mail, and so in desperation turn to news groups.
>>
>> In trying to configure my exim4 to use spamassassin, I apparently messed
>> up the confituration somehow. At first, all downloaded messages were
>> deleted as spam, and as I fiddled, fetchmail could not download messages
>> because the mail server did not like the information it received (SMTP
>> error: 550 Administrative prohibition), and now fetchmail does not even
>> see any messages.
>
> This isn't all too helpful, I know. Exim in Debian is a political
> decision; due to licensing. The first thing I always do to any Debian-box
> is installing Postfix.
> Not that I had anything against Exim, only at installing Debian, it would
> offer several alternatives of configuring Exim that I, as a professional,
> couldn't understand. That's useless software for you. My 2 sen.

Thanks, Uwe. In fact, I used to run postfix, but when things got too
complicated for me in trying to reject spam, I retreated to exim4 on the
assumption it would work out of the box. I may well go back to postfix,
but right now need to communicate with the world.

There seems to be a problem getting my fetchmail requests being
authenticated at the mail server. Here's what fetchmail tells me:
  fetchmail: Issuer Organization: Courier Mail Server
  fetchmail: Issuer CommonName: localhost
  fetchmail: Server CommonName: localhost
  fetchmail: Server CommonName mismatch: localhost != pop.hartford-hwp.com
  fetchmail: pop.hartford-hwp.com key fingerprint:
	44:B3:8D:19:D1:83:C1:06:95:CB:22:69:73:CE:08:61
  fetchmail: Server certificate verification error: self signed certificate

I assume this "Courier Mail Server" MTA is running on the mail server,
but it sends a set of error messages that sounds like it thinks I'm
running SSL, which I'm not. I don't know if fetchmail is telling me that
pop.hartford-hwp.com is not what it is looking for or if what it is
getting is not pop.hartford-hwp.com.

Also, while my hostname is "teufel", when I check for aliases:

   $ hostname -a
   teufel

I get only the hostname. Shouldn't it be something like:
localhost.localdoman teufel.hartford-hwp.com

My /etc/hosts has:

127.0.0.1	localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.1.1     teufel.hartford-hwp.com teufel

I've not touched anything but exim4 and sa-exim.

--

       Haines Brown, KB1GRM