Re: wifi network connection

On Mon, Dec 24, 2007 at 19:16:19 +0000, Mihira Fernando wrote:
> On Mon December 24 2007 11:02 am, hce wrote:
> >
> > Right, that was missing on my laptop. Could you please explain more
> > how to enable the IP formward on my laptop (an example of commands
> > will be better).
> >
> To enable IP Forwarding, run (as root)
> # echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
>
> (you need to run this everytime the system reboots )

A convenient way to make this permanent is putting

net.ipv4.ip_forward=1

into /etc/sysctl.conf. This line is probably already there and just
needs to be uncommented to become active (at least on Lenny and Sid; I
am not sure about Etch).

This works for all settings accessible via /proc/sys/, for example

vm.swappiness=10

will set /proc/sys/vm/swappiness to 10 at every boot. /etc/sysctl.conf
contains a number of commented examples for commonly used parameters.

You can restart procps ("invoke-rc.d procps restart") or use "sysctl -q
-p" to make changes to /etc/sysctl.conf effective without a reboot (or
use echo commands for each individual setting as Mihira has shown
above.)

          Florian   |