Re: wifi network connection

On 12/25/07, Mihira Fernando <mihiratheace@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon December 24 2007 9:02 am, hce wrote:
> >
> > Sorry, it was my mistake, the local wifi route IP addres =
> > 192.168.0.1.  I guess, the problem may be due to missing some services
> > in my Debian laptop, should I run the DHCP server on the Debian
> > laptop?
> >
> > I actually tried to connect the local wifi route (with same set up
> > above) to a friend's ADSL modem which also sets the local LAN address
> > to 192.168.5.1. And, it works fine. It seems that the ADSL modem has
> > more proper setting than my Debian laptop.
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Jim
>
> What are you trying to do ? share your Dial up internet connection via the
> WIFI router ?
> or does the WIFI Router has its own connection to the internet ?

It is the former. The laptop Ethernet connects to the wifi Internet port.

> If its the former, you will need to enable IP forwarding in your laptop's
> interface that connects to the wifi router.

Right, that was missing on my laptop. Could you please explain more
how to enable the IP formward on my laptop (an example of commands
will be better).

> Also, If  you plan to setup dhcp on this interface, then your dhcp options
> must be configured so that
> 1. dhcp clients gets an IP address in the same subnet as your interface
> laptop's ethernet.
> 2. the WIFI router must NOT be doing dhcp (2 dhcp servers are not necessary )
> 3. the dhcp clients must get your laptop's ethernet IP as both gateway and
> nameserver.
>
> Alternatively you can use WIFI router's DHCP server but configure it so that :
> 1. Laptop ethernet, WIF Router and dhcp clients are all on the same ip network
> 2. Laptop ethernet has ip forwarding enabled
> 3. dhcp clients get laptop ethernet ip address as both gateway and nameserver.

I'll use the wifi router's DHCP server.

> Goes withut saying that laptop must have a caching dns service such as dnsmasq
> for this to work.

Right, please also explain more, or an example of commands.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Jim