Re: DVD drive misbehaves after a while, kernel problem?

On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 11:14:50PM -0700, Matthew Dale Moore wrote:
> >     Dec 18 10:28:00 guitar2 kernel: hda: cdrom_pc_intr: The drive appears
> > confused (ireason = 0x01). Trying to recover by ending request. Dec 18
> > 10:28:00 guitar2 kernel: hda: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady
> > SeekComplete DataRequest } Dec 18 10:28:00 guitar2 kernel: ide: failed
> > opcode was: unknown Dec 18 10:28:00 guitar2 kernel: hda: drive not ready
> > for command Dec 18 10:28:02 guitar2 kernel: hda: status error: status=0x58
> > { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest } Dec 18 10:28:02 guitar2 kernel:
> > ide: failed opcode was: unknown
>
> I am experiencing this same problem since Jan 2007. I have the same
> motherboard but a different DVD-RW drive. When I first attempted to install
> linux on my newly built computer, the damned JMicron controller was
> unsupported, and so DVD drive access was impossible. About 3 weeks later
> support was added, and I have always figured that this behavior is a symptom
> of just poor support for this controller.
>
> A workaround that I have been using for the past few months is just to keep a
> blank CD-RW (or some kind of media) in the drive at all times. It seems like
> this only happens when the drive is empty for more than a few minutes.
>
> I would be interested in any advice anyone has to offer.

Thanks for your comment - it encouraged me to dedicate some more time to
this problem, focussing on the jmicron driver.

My system finally stopped printing error messages after applying these steps:
- upgrade the mainboard BIOS to version F12
- blacklist the old IDE driver module for the jmicron controller:
  echo "blacklist jmicron" >> /etc/modprobe.d/_local_
- build kernel 2.6.24-rc6 with CONFIG_PATA_JMICRON=m
  (enables libata support for the jmicron controller)
- reboot and cross fingers :-)

The kernel and BIOS upgrades might not be necessary,
the switch to libata is likely the key step.

To check which driver you are using, you can use:
$ lsmod | grep jmicron
The old module is called jmicron, the new one pata_jmicron.

Also, your DVD drive will change its names from /dev/hdX and /dev/cdrom
to /dev/scd0 and /dev/cdrom1.

If you decide to try this, please post your results.

Mirko