Re: DVD drive misbehaves after a while, kernel problem?

On Tuesday 18 December 2007 03:43:00 pm Mirko Parthey wrote:
> After between 10 and 60 minutes of uptime, my DVD drive begins to show
> strange behaviour:
>
> - an icon appears on the KDE desktop showing either a data CD-ROM
>   or an audio CD (although the tray is empty and closed)
>
> - in /var/log/kern.log, these messages appear in large numbers:
>
>     Dec 18 10:28:00 guitar2 kernel: hda: cdrom_pc_intr: The drive appears
> confused (ireason = 0x01). Trying to recover by ending request. Dec 18
> 10:28:00 guitar2 kernel: hda: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady
> SeekComplete DataRequest } Dec 18 10:28:00 guitar2 kernel: ide: failed
> opcode was: unknown Dec 18 10:28:00 guitar2 kernel: hda: drive not ready
> for command Dec 18 10:28:02 guitar2 kernel: hda: status error: status=0x58
> { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest } Dec 18 10:28:02 guitar2 kernel:
> ide: failed opcode was: unknown
>
> At this stage, the drive becomes unusable, while it it is working fine
> otherwise. A reboot "fixes" the problem, until the next occurence.

[snip]

> my hardware:
> - PLEXTOR DVDR PX-760A, firmware 1.07
>  (restored to original Plextor firmware for this bug report)
> - mainboard Gigabyte 965P-S3, with this IDE controller:
>   03:00.1 IDE interface: JMicron Technologies, Inc. JMicron 20360/20363
> AHCI Controller (rev 02)

I am experiencing this same problem since Jan 2007. I have the same
motherboard but a different DVD-RW drive. When I first attempted to install
linux on my newly built computer, the damned JMicron controller was
unsupported, and so DVD drive access was impossible. About 3 weeks later
support was added, and I have always figured that this behavior is a symptom
of just poor support for this controller.

A workaround that I have been using for the past few months is just to keep a
blank CD-RW (or some kind of media) in the drive at all times. It seems like
this only happens when the drive is empty for more than a few minutes.

I would be interested in any advice anyone has to offer.

MM