Re: Correct way to add multiple "secondary IPs"to one dev/interface in /etc/network/interfaces?

On Friday 21 December 2007 14:56, Cameron Hutchison wrote:
> Adrian Levi <adrian.levi@gmail.com> wrote:
> >AFAIK ip, route et al are called my ifconfig to do the work.
>
> This is not right. ifconfig uses the old ioctl interface to control the
> network interfaces. ip uses the new netlink protocol.
>
> >Creating
> >an alias in the interfaces file is the correct way to do it. Why do
> >you not want to use an alias?
>
> According to various ip(8) documents, aliases are deprecated in favor of
> secondary addresses. This may just be wishful thinking on the part of
> the authors of the iproute2 utility suite and kernel implementation,
> since most distros still use ifconfig as the primary utility to
> configure network interfaces.
>
> However, if we are to have any chance of moving forward, we need to drop
> the old ways of doing things for the new. I assume that this is what the
> original poster is trying to do.

As the saying goes, "You hit the nail on the head". Not only am I trying to do
the "right" "new" thing, the reason I'm doing it is I'm trying to run some
Linux-HA heartbeat servers, and they use (or at least the docs say they use)
the "new" method. It said in the heartbeat docs somewhere that you shouldn't
mix the two. Or someone told me. Or I tried and it didn't work - I can't
remember now, I've been fiddling with it too long.

Anyway, /usually/ deprecated things "go away" eventually, so I wanted to start
using the new method everywhere, for consistency. But there's a shamefully
small amount of documentation for it. I wish someone would put up some better
docs but I don't know who to ask. Is there a way to file a bug reports
against the docs on the web site? I don't know how the developers expect
people to move to the "new" method when it's this hard to find out how to do
it. I'm not a genius, but I've been using Linux for 9 years now, and I've
jumped through all sorts of hoops trying to get this to work.

Maybe I've just overlooked some documentation somewhere, but I sure don't know
where. The man page links to the URL I mentioned earlier which has lots of
good info, but not enough do make it clear.

Thanks,

	JW

--

System Administrator - Cedar Creek Software