Re: apt-get torture - deadlock libc6

putting this back on the list. please don't reply to me
directly. you'll get much more help if everyone can see what's going on.

On Thu, Dec 20, 2007 at 11:43:56AM -0800, epic winter wrote:

> Back in hell.

sorry to hear that.

> i thought that fixed it, but now it seems that the gcc/libc version
>   I am using is incompatible with my kernel or something.  I get all
>   kinds of errors like this when compiling stuff that I never
>   received before like this:
>
> cdb.a(cdb.o):cdb.c:(.text+0x3e): more undefined references to `errno' follow
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

without actual information about what you are trying to compile and
against which libraries, no one can actually help with that.

> I believe I upgraded to some testing version of the etch libraries.

entirely possible. you are probably running a mixed system.

> Then when i deleted all my sources and did the apt-update it removed
>  all that crap.

no. update will only update the lists of available packages. Now if
you did something more than just update, then maybe. But apt doesn't
like to remove things, you'd have gotten some warning.

> Then i had to reinstall it so I just installed the stable versions
>  of etch, but these aren't compatible with my old woody install.

stop. you must stop just installing things. You have a mixed system
and you can't just install any ol' thing. You need to spell out *exactly*
what you are trying to do and why so that people can actually help
with your issue.

>  Is there a way to get my old woody sources back?  This computer has
>   a lot of critical stuff running on it and I can't easily upgrade.

well, to be blunt, you should have though of that before you put a
whole bunch of non-woody repositories in your sources.list.

But now that the damage is done, I don't have much advice. Probably
your best bet is to move up to sarge manually replacing packages as
needed to remove the etch upgrades.

There is probably some archive somewhere that has woody packages, but
I wouldn't know where that is. Someone may speak up here.

You likely need to analyse why you are still running two major
upgrades behind and see if you can get out of that. If you truly
*can't* move up for some bizarre reason, then you need to slow down,
take a deep breath and begin to analyse the system in detail -- look
at installed versions of packages versus woody versions, figure out
what you've changed and change it back piece-by-piece. use
apt-show-versions, apt-cache, etc.

good luck.