apt-get torture - deadlock libc6

I was doing a dist-upgrade on an older debian install and I got stuck in a apt deadlock because it is trying to install a new version of libc6 that seems to be associated with a 2.6 kernel.  I am running a 2.4 kernel and have no intentions of upgrading.  I see lots of messages about this problem but I can't seem to find any info that helps me fix it.  I want to stick with what I got and get out of this apt deadlock.

What do i do to end the deadlock?  Can I no longer do a dist-upgrade?  Should i change my source list which now includes stable, testing and unstable.

Here is some of the messages i get:
Preparing to replace libc6 2.3.6.ds1-8 (using .../archives/libc6_2.7-4_i386.deb) ...

Name Service Switch update in the C Library: pre-installation question.

Running services and programs that are using NSS need to be restarted,
otherwise they might not be able to do lookup or authentication any more.
The installation process is able to restart some services (such as ssh or
telnetd), but other programs cannot be restarted automatically.  One such
program that needs manual stopping and restart after the glibc upgrade by
yourself is xdm - because automatic restart might disconnect your active
X11 sessions.

Known packages that need to be stopped before the glibc upgrade are:
        xdm kdm gdm postgresql xscreensaver proftpd

This script did not detect any installed services which need to be
stopped.

If you want to interrupt the upgrade now and continue later, please
answer No to the question below.

Do you want to upgrade glibc now? [Y/n]

WARNING: POSIX threads library NPTL requires kernel version
2.6.8 or later. If you use a kernel 2.4, please upgrade it
before installing glibc.

The installation of a 2.6 kernel _could_ ask you to install a new libc
first, this is NOT a bug, and should *NOT* be reported. In that case,
please add etch sources to your /etc/apt/sources.list and run:
  apt-get install -t etch linux-image-2.6
Then reboot into this new kernel, and proceed with your upgrade
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.7-4_i386.deb (--unpack):
 subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.7-4_i386.deb