Re: apt-get install php4-mysql

On 20 Dec, 06:40, Daniel Burrows <dburr...@debian.org> wrote:
>   Just to answer the package-management part of your question.
>
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 12:50:49PM -0800, Jeppe <jepsov...@home.se> was heard to say:> Well, I did "apt-get install php4-mysql" (I have included some of the
> > -------------------------------
> > Reading Package Lists... Done
> > Building Dependency Tree... Done
> > The following extra packages will be installed:
> >   apache-common libapache-mod-php4 libkrb53 libpq4 php4-common php4-
> > pgsql
>
>                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> > Suggested packages:
> >   apache apache-ssl apache-perl php-pear krb5-doc krb5-user
>
> > The following packages will be REMOVED:
> >   libapache2-mod-php4
>
>   [snip]
>
> > dpkg: libapache2-mod-php4: dependency problems, but removing anyway as
> > you request:
> >  php4 depends on libapache-mod-php4 (>= 4:4.3.10-16) | libapache2-mod-
>
>                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> > php4 (>= 4:4.3.10-16); however:
> >   Package libapache-mod-php4 is not installed.
> >   Package libapache2-mod-php4 is to be removed.
> > (Reading database ... 33009 files and directories currently
> > installed.)
>
> > Removing libapache2-mod-php4 ...
>
> > Module php4 disabled; run /etc/init.d/apache2 force-reload to fully
> > disable.
> > ..
> > -------------------------------
>
>   Most likely what happened is this: apt decided for some reason
> that your installed apache2 wouldn't go well with php4, and that you
> should install apache instead [0].  So now it had a problem:
> libapache-mod-php4 and libapache2-mod-php4 are mutually exclusive, yet
> php4 (which you wanted to have installed) requires one of them.  Apt
> solves this by telling dpkg to "remove libapache2-mod-php4, no really I
> *swear* it's OK", which causes dpkg to output the message you listed.  I
> bet that later in that process apt went and installed libapache-mod-php4.
>
>   aptitude can sometimes help a bit in figuring situations like this
> out, although I don't know if it would have helped here; it looks like
> all those changes were done by the auto-install feature of apt, which
> aptitude doesn't get to look inside.
>
>   [0] it was almost certainly wrong, but I'd need to do more analysis to
>       figure out why.
>
>   Daniel
>
> --

Okey, you have all helped me with explaining the situation that had
arisen. Thanks!
I guess I don´t have to feel worried about my current server status
since I´ve got PHP5 and apache2 back in action.
And I guess I dare to do the: "apt-get install php5-mysql" without
going mad.

Thx again for taking your time to answer my questions. / J