apt-get install php4-mysql

Hi there,

First of all, I´m new to Debian and especially the apt-thing.
I was going to try to enable apache2 with mysql. I already have a
Postgres-DB but now for different reasons, I also wanted MySQL. I did
not enable MySQL during the apache installation the first time. PHP
(4.-something) is/was enabled and worked towards Postgres without any
problems.

So, after having done a "apt-cache search mysql" and grep:ed for
something containg php I found the package:

php4-mysql

I thought this must be the right thing for me, I mean, I want to be
able to connect to MySQL with PHP4.

Well, I did "apt-get install php4-mysql" (I have included some of the
output between ---- )

-------------------------------
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  apache-common libapache-mod-php4 libkrb53 libpq4 php4-common php4-
pgsql
Suggested packages:
  apache apache-ssl apache-perl php-pear krb5-doc krb5-user

The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libapache2-mod-php4

  apache-common libapache-mod-php4 libpq4 php4-mysql

  libkrb53 php4-common php4-pgsql
3 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 1 to remove and 250 not upgraded.

Preparing to replace php4-pgsql 3:4.3.10-4 (using ../php4-
pgsql_6%3a4.4.4-8+etch4_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement php4-pgsql ...

dpkg: libapache2-mod-php4: dependency problems, but removing anyway as
you request:
 php4 depends on libapache-mod-php4 (>= 4:4.3.10-16) | libapache2-mod-
php4 (>= 4:4.3.10-16); however:
  Package libapache-mod-php4 is not installed.
  Package libapache2-mod-php4 is to be removed.
(Reading database ... 33009 files and directories currently
installed.)

Removing libapache2-mod-php4 ...

Module php4 disabled; run /etc/init.d/apache2 force-reload to fully
disable.
..
-------------------------------

When the process was over I restarted Apache and paniced when I
realized that my browser wanted to download the php-sides instead of
having the server parsing the sides. Apache did not parse my php any
more. Obviously some dependency-things had gone wrong ("libapache2-mod-
php4: dep. probs., but removing anyway as you request").
What to do?
I tried doing this:

"apt-get install libapache2-mod-php5"
-------------------------------
  apache2 apache2-mpm-prefork apache2.2-common coreutils dpkg
libapache2-mod-perl2 libapr1 libaprutil1 libncursesw5
  libsqlite3-0 libxml2 php5-common python2.4 python2.4-minimal
Suggested packages:
  lzma php-pear python2.4-doc python-profiler
Recommended packages:
  xml-core

The following packages will be REMOVED:
  apache2-common libapache2-mod-python libapache2-mod-python2.3
  apache2.2-common libapache2-mod-php5 libapr1 libaprutil1
libsqlite3-0 php5-common python2.4 python2.4-minimal
  apache2 apache2-mpm-prefork coreutils dpkg libapache2-mod-perl2
libncursesw5 libxml2
7 upgraded, 8 newly installed, 3 to remove and 242 not upgraded.

..

dpkg: apache2-common: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you
request:
 apache2-mpm-prefork depends on apache2-common (= 2.0.54-5).
(Reading database ... 33067 files and directories currently
installed.)
Removing apache2-common ...

..

-------------------------------

And yes, I was lucky.  Things got back to normal again. Well, despite
the fact that I´m running php5 now.
I was asked a question if I wanted to replace my existing
apache2.config with an updated version but I chosed to keep my
existing config due changes that I had made before.

Questions to be answered:
1. What was the cause of the problem? Did I choose the wrong package
or was my configuration wrong from the beginning?

2. Do I have to do something about this now? Do I have any corrupted
dependencies?

3. How do I enable MySQL with apache and php if not by installing the
package php[45]-mysql? I have checked the php.ini and I do not find
anything that looks like an on/off switch for the mysql.

Thanks for answering, Jeppe