Re: apt-get install php4-mysql

  Just to answer the package-management part of your question.

On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 12:50:49PM -0800, Jeppe <jepsovitz@home.se> was heard to say:
> Well, I did "apt-get install php4-mysql" (I have included some of the
> -------------------------------
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
>   apache-common libapache-mod-php4 libkrb53 libpq4 php4-common php4-
> pgsql
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Suggested packages:
>   apache apache-ssl apache-perl php-pear krb5-doc krb5-user
>
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   libapache2-mod-php4

  [snip]

> dpkg: libapache2-mod-php4: dependency problems, but removing anyway as
> you request:
>  php4 depends on libapache-mod-php4 (>= 4:4.3.10-16) | libapache2-mod-
                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> php4 (>= 4:4.3.10-16); however:
>   Package libapache-mod-php4 is not installed.
>   Package libapache2-mod-php4 is to be removed.
> (Reading database ... 33009 files and directories currently
> installed.)
>
> Removing libapache2-mod-php4 ...
>
> Module php4 disabled; run /etc/init.d/apache2 force-reload to fully
> disable.
> ..
> -------------------------------

  Most likely what happened is this: apt decided for some reason
that your installed apache2 wouldn't go well with php4, and that you
should install apache instead [0].  So now it had a problem:
libapache-mod-php4 and libapache2-mod-php4 are mutually exclusive, yet
php4 (which you wanted to have installed) requires one of them.  Apt
solves this by telling dpkg to "remove libapache2-mod-php4, no really I
*swear* it's OK", which causes dpkg to output the message you listed.  I
bet that later in that process apt went and installed libapache-mod-php4.

  aptitude can sometimes help a bit in figuring situations like this
out, although I don't know if it would have helped here; it looks like
all those changes were done by the auto-install feature of apt, which
aptitude doesn't get to look inside.

  [0] it was almost certainly wrong, but I'd need to do more analysis to
      figure out why.

  Daniel