Re: Preventing IP conflict

After reading the suggestions from people around i was not able to
understand what it has to do with DHCP. in case if your machine runs
as DHCP client you will get another IP address as soon as you reboot
the machine or any other IP which is not being used from within the
network.

On 20/12/2007, T o n g <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It's now the third time that I bumped into such situation. All of sudden I
> suffer from network delay and package lost, can't ping DNS server but can
> ping some IPs that is connecting to my box.
>
> I have suspected my cable, kernel version, etc, etc, and until today,
> after rebooting into Window$ and noticing the warning message, did I
> realize that all above is caused by IP conflict -- there is another box on
> the network using the same IP address as mine.
>
> We know it is definitely because of the malfunctioning of our
> organization's DNS  server. But if I report it to our technical services,
> I know for sure that I am the person to be blamed: "Why are you using
> Linux? We are primarily a Window$ shop here. Linux is not supported".

Another thing i am not able to stand is what your DNS server
malfunctioning has to do with your machine's ip conflict.. DNS just
does the work of resolving name to ip and ip to names.

> That's the life that I have to live in. I'm wondering if there is anything
> at my end that can prevent/eliminate the problem.

i would suggest to check /var/log/messages. anytime you get any kind
of problem with the network or anything the system logs it in
/var/log/messages which can help you identify the problem. in case of
problems od DUP IP. it clearly thoroiws a message of dup present in
the network with the Mac address of the network card which is using
it.

Furthermore, a lot of implementaion of tools are being done on the
newer linux ditros which can actually warn you about existence of DUPs
in network. the moment they come up in network.. the same way it
happen in MS Windows.