Re: I have a SSH connection and need GUI installed

On Dec 17, 2007, at 6:38 AM, webjay wrote:

On Dec 17, 3:00 pm, Kent West <we...@acu.edu> wrote:
webjay wrote:
I am on a MacBook Pro and can connect to my server in the basement via
SSH.
Can I install a GUI via SSH and later connect via VLC or the like?

On the OS/X installer DVD is an X Tools option, that is not installed by default. (This is with pre-Leopard; I'm unsure about Leopard.) Install that.

Now you can fire up X, and I believe it will open a terminal window. (I
don't have a Mac in front of me, so I'm doing this by [hazy] memory.)

From there, just "ssh -X yourserverusername@yourserversIPaddress".

I'm assuming your server is running Debian. If you've configured Debian
to allow X forwarding ("XForwarding=Yes" or similar in
/etc/ssh/sshd_config, I believe), once you've logged into Debian over
the ssh connection, you can start any X-enabled app, and it will
display/run "on" your Mac.

Any questions, ask again for clarification. In an hour or so I'll be in front of my Mac and can walk through the process and give better details
if necessary.

--
Kent

I have X tools on my Mac.
I also have "X11Forwarding yes" in /etc/ssh/sshd_config
I have installed xnest.

But I guess I need either Gnome or KDE?
How do I install Gnome via SSH?
And do I need to configure it for a remote connection?

Jacob

NO you do not need with gnome or kde to get SSH to work.

I regularly ssh from this MacBook, into my debian box.

I can send a copy of both my /etc/ssh/sshd_config & ssh_config

I use synaptic, gimp, gqview, and other programs remotely.

---
Rodney D. Myers <rdmyers.42@gmail.com>
ICQ#:         AIM#:            YAHOO:
18002350      mailman452       mailman42_5

        Ben Franklin - 1759