Re: I have a SSH connection and need GUI installed

webjay wrote:
I am on a MacBook Pro and can connect to my server in the basement via
SSH.
Can I install a GUI via SSH and later connect via VLC or the like?

On the OS/X installer DVD is an X Tools option, that is not installed by default. (This is with pre-Leopard; I'm unsure about Leopard.) Install that.

Now you can fire up X, and I believe it will open a terminal window. (I don't have a Mac in front of me, so I'm doing this by [hazy] memory.)

From there, just "ssh -X yourserverusername@yourserversIPaddress".

I'm assuming your server is running Debian. If you've configured Debian to allow X forwarding ("XForwarding=Yes" or similar in /etc/ssh/sshd_config, I believe), once you've logged into Debian over the ssh connection, you can start any X-enabled app, and it will display/run "on" your Mac.

Any questions, ask again for clarification. In an hour or so I'll be in front of my Mac and can walk through the process and give better details if necessary.

--
Kent