Re: amarok hangs

On 12/16/07, Paul Cartwright <ale@pcartwright.com> wrote:

> I use mplayer for most things, vlc for a few others. BUT the problem with
> mplayer is, when my X session crashes, and I switch to the nv driver,

gmplayer too as well :) but I don't use totem. I'm also running the
nvidia driver in unstable right now (or whatever it was since I last
updated) on my FX 5200 card.

I haven't found mplayer to crash too often (like in the middle of a
dvd or what have you) but sometimes I will run gmplayer in a window
off of iceweasel (mplayer-plugin) and leave the system on all night
listening to radio or somesuch. Then wnen I get up in the morning,
closing the window where gmplayer is running (in an iceweasel tab or
window) hangs iceweasel to the point that I can only go to a shell and
type 'killall firefox-bin' . Just happened to me this AM.

I don't switch back and forth from the nv driver to the nvidia one
that often. I'd prefer not to, as nv is too slow for what I want to
do. But, I've just recently had some rather inexplicable situations
where x11 has crashed, like I'll come home and find me in a kdm login
session) and the system is otherwise in an idle state when I'm gone -
usually only running one or two apps, plus the gl planet screen saver.

Snce that uses gl, and amarok does as well (I think, for the graphical
feedback on the bottom of its screen, and so does mplayer. depending
on the video driver that's used, maybe there's a problem with nvidia's
drivers?