Re: amarok hangs

On Sun December 16 2007, David Fox wrote:
> gmplayer too as well :) but I don't use totem. I'm also running the
> nvidia driver in unstable right now (or whatever it was since I last
> updated) on my FX 5200 card.
I have the GEForce 7300 card on my Dell desktop unit.

> I haven't found mplayer to crash too often (like in the middle of a
> dvd or what have you) but sometimes I will run gmplayer in a window
> off of iceweasel (mplayer-plugin) and leave the system on all night
> listening to radio or somesuch. Then wnen I get up in the morning,
> closing the window where gmplayer is running (in an iceweasel tab or
> window) hangs iceweasel to the point that I can only go to a shell and
> type 'killall firefox-bin' . Just happened to me this AM.

I don't run IceWeasel, I removed it and switched to the plain vanilla Firefox
from Mozilla.

> I don't switch back and forth from the nv driver to the nvidia one
> that often. I'd prefer not to, as nv is too slow for what I want to
> do. But, I've just recently had some rather inexplicable situations
> where x11 has crashed, like I'll come home and find me in a kdm login
> session) and the system is otherwise in an idle state when I'm gone -
> usually only running one or two apps, plus the gl planet screen saver.

I only switch to the nv driver when X crashes, or I reboot, and X doesn't come
up. Sometimes, I'll try to reinstall the nvidia driver and it won't work, so
I stay with the nv driver.
I used to use envy to install the nvidia driver, but it doesn't work with the
lenny testing, only etch..

> Snce that uses gl, and amarok does as well (I think, for the graphical
> feedback on the bottom of its screen, and so does mplayer. depending
> on the video driver that's used, maybe there's a problem with nvidia's
> drivers?
maybe so:)

--
Paul Cartwright