Re: How to stop a pkg being updated to the latest with Apt

On Saturday 15 December 2007 22:28, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 15, 2007 at 09:46:58PM +0100, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb@tiscali.fr>
was heard to say:

> > > put the package on hold. see 6.12 in
> > > http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-pkg_basics.en.html
> > > on how to do this.
> > >
> > > greetings Peter Werner
> >
> > Thanks Peter for your reply, and the link. Unfortunately it only deals
> > with Aptitude, and Dpkg, and there appears to be no way to put a hold on
> > an individual package with Apt ( at least not on the Apt version on
> > Fedora).
>
>   Apt and aptitude will read dpkg hold states.
>
>   Daniel

Hi Daniel. I'm sure that's true with Apt, or Aptitude on Debian, but doesn't
work with Apt on Fedora. I havn't had to hold back packages on my Debian
installs, and this is a specific problem with a version of fltk that comes
with Fedora 7, and 8, and causes problems with ZynAddSubFX. Using the fltk
version from FC5 resolves the problem.

I've already posted this to the list, but these are the lines added
to /etc/apt/preferences that have resolved the pinning problem.

Package: fltk
Pin: version 1.1.7*
Pin-Priority: 1001

According to this no fltk versions later than 1.1.7* will be installed if
later versions are available. In my case the 1.1.8* versions are causing the
problem. Running apt-get dist-upgrade -s verifies that fltk is not going to
be upgraded, so the pinning is working thank goodness, as this has been a bit
of a performance trying to find the correct lines to enter
in /etc/apt/preferences.

Thanks to all who replied, even though this wasn't a Debian problem, although
Apt is Debian, and I just happen to like using it on Fedora.

Nigel.

Currently running Debian Sarge, Etch, and Lenny, Kubuntu (Dapper), Archlinux,
Fedora 1,2,3,5,6,7, and 8, Slackware 10.0, and Gentoo.

btw. I still havn't received a reply for the problem from the Fedora list.
they're probably too occupied with Yum to be bothered with Apt.