Re: How to stop a pkg being updated to the latest with Apt

On Wednesday 12 December 2007 20:23, Peter Werner wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 07:44:39PM +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > How do I prevent the fltk package being upgraded using Apt?
>
> put the package on hold. see 6.12 in
> http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-pkg_basics.en.html
> on how to do this.
>
> greetings Peter Werner

Thanks Peter for your reply, and the link. Unfortunately it only deals with
Aptitude, and Dpkg, and there appears to be no way to put a hold on an
individual package with Apt ( at least not on the Apt version on Fedora).

I also posted this question to  apt-rpm@lists.laiskiainen.org. Someone there
suggested pinning, and having tried various incantations
in /etc/apt/preferences, this one appears to work.

Package: fltk
Pin: version 1.1.7*
Pin-Priority: 1001

The fltk version 1.1.7* is referring to fltk-1.1.7-1.fc5, which is the
installed version of fltk, and installed using rpm -Uvh <path to fltk
package>. I replaced the fltk-1.1.8-0.3.r5750.fc7 version with the fc5
version, as the fc7 version creates problems with ZynnAddSubFX.

Ignore the rpm stuff as it refers to Fedora, but apart from that the pinning
appears to be working ok.

I ran an apt-get update, and no warning about pinning problems. Followed that
with an apt-get dist-upgrade -s, and got no packages to be upgraded, which
confirmed that the pinning was working. Opened Synaptic, and installed
version of fltk was showing as 1.1.7-1.fc5, and available version of fltk is
also showing as 1.1.7-1.fc5, which again showed that the pinning was working.

Thanks again for your help with an Apt problem on Fedora, and btw, I still
havn't had a reply to this problem I sent to the Fedora list. They're
probably too occupied with Yum problems, or just didn't have an answer.

Nigel.