CGI Scripts, Apache 2.2.3, and Debian 4.0 R1

I have a clean install of Debian 4.0 R1 with Apache 2.2.3-4 installed. I can not get cgi scripts to execute from the website. I have researched the Apache site and tried both of the following:

1) Under apache2.conf, I added
    <Directory /var/www/cgi-bin >
      Options +ExecCGI
      AddHandler cgi-script .cgi .pl
    </Directory>

2) Under httpd.conf, I added
#
# ScriptAlias: This controls which directories contain server scripts.
# ScriptAliases are essentially the same as Aliases, except that
# documents in the realname directory are treated as applications and
# run by the server when requested rather than as documents sent to the client.
# The same rules about trailing "/" apply to ScriptAlias directives as to
# Alias.
#
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/var/www/cgi-bin/"
#
# "/var/www/cgi-bin" should be changed to whatever your ScriptAliased
# CGI directory exists, if you have that configured.
#
<Directory "/var/www/cgi-bin">
        AllowOverride None
        Options Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks
        Order deny,allow
        Deny from all
        Allow from 192.168.1
</Directory>

Neither of these has allowed my cgi scripts to run. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong?

Sincerely,
Jon

Looking for last minute shopping deals?