Re: How to disable ipv6 in Lenny to avoid 1.0.0.0 error in name resolution for AAAA type queries

On Saturday 15 December 2007 05:10:01 Amogh Hooshdar wrote:
> I observed it with wireshark and the DNS queries and responses are like
> this:-
>
> DNS Standard query AAAA ftp.us.debian.org
> DNS Standard query response [Malformed packet]
> DNS Standrd query A ftp.us.debian.org
> DNS Standard query response A 1.0.0.0
>
> ipv6 doesn't seem to have been disabled because the DNS AAAA type
> queries are still going out. Please help me to disable ipv6
> completely.

We recently ran into a similar problem.  IPv6 has long been
successfully black-listed but for a few days we were unable
to use Etch to download a Debian Testing CD from the torrent
because btdownloadcurses saw the bttracker.acc.umu.se AAAA
record and died on something like "no route to host" without
ever trying the A record.

bttracker.acc.umu.se now (seems to) always return the A
record before the AAAA record and btdownloadcurses works
once more.

FWIW, we do not have "options ipv6" in resolv.conf, but I
don't see a way to say something like "options no-ipv6".

--Mike Bird