Re: how to redo networking on bootup

On Sat, Dec 15, 2007 at 06:43:48AM -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> I think something is wrong with my system. It started a few weeks ago, when,
> on a reboot, my NVIDIA driver didn't work, so X didn't start(or is it X
> wouldn't start because I had no network..). I think somehow these are
> related, but I don't know how.
>
> anyway, I just changed DSL providers, and in rebooting to get it setup, I am
> noticing that my network doesn't come up clean any more, now I have to
> restart networking, then do ifup eth0 to get back on the network.
> How can I get it back TO NORMAL..

Give us your /etc/apt/sources.list

How do you normally configure your network?  Do you use the standard
debian /etc/networking stuff or are you using some DTE network manager?
I would imagine that if your network is controlled by your DTE that it
wouldn't function if X didn't work.  This is why I can only imagine
since I would never take that risk; without networking, how could I
email for help?

What error messages are you getting?

If X doesn't start, what do you get?

Since X will work on an isolated box, you don't need an external network
to run X.  It may need the lo interface but since I've never run without
lo, I wouldn't know.

Doug.