how to redo networking on bootup

I think something is wrong with my system. It started a few weeks ago, when,
on a reboot, my NVIDIA driver didn't work, so X didn't start(or is it X
wouldn't start because I had no network..). I think somehow these are
related, but I don't know how.

anyway, I just changed DSL providers, and in rebooting to get it setup, I am
noticing that my network doesn't come up clean any more, now I have to
restart networking, then do ifup eth0 to get back on the network.
How can I get it back TO NORMAL..

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800