Re: Preferred Backup Method?

David Brodbeck wrote:

On Dec 14, 2007, at 8:16 AM, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
No.  There's a fundamental difference between FreeBSD and OpenBSD.
FreeBSD seems to have an attitude to Linux as Linux has to Windows.  Try
to be like them and convert users by making configs easy.  OpenBSD does
nothing to convert users; it doesn't care about users.  Its by
developers for developers.  Developers can write their own rc.local
snippet.

I'm sure that's a lot of it. But I think I should point out the FreeBSD solution does more than let you avoid writing something in rc.local. Adding a snippet in rc.local will get your daemon up all right, but it provides no way to have your daemon shut down in an orderly fashion the way FreeBSD's /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ setup does. I've always thought this was the biggest shortcoming of BSD init vs. SysV init. -- BSD init only solves half the problem.

Just in passing.
There is another option that I've been keeping an eye on for the last three years - so stability, as a project, would appear to be satisfied.

http://www.dragonflybsd.org/index.shtml

Regards,

--
David Palmer