Re: FreeAgent USB HDD (update)

Wim De Smet wrote:
On Nov 29, 2007 9:18 PM, andy <geek_show@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
I rebooted and then once I went into the filesystem I saw that the
system recognised it, but did not automount it. This is something that I
have noticed in the last while - USB data sticks are not being
automounted the way they used to be (although, I cannot determine a
turning point in this). They used to trigger an icon to be placed on my
Gnome desktop once I inserted the stick but now I have to manually open
the filesystem and click on the USB drive to mount it. I have double
checked my prefs under Gnome for storage devices, and the option to
automount and auto-browse are selected, so I don't know what is going on
with that.

Anyway, crisis with the FreeAgent drive is over. Now I only have this
mild curiosity re: the automount/auto-browse issue. Anyone have some
light to shine on this?

This could be for a number of reasons. Most likely first choice would
be the gnome settings about removable devices. If somehow they got set
to not mount the device automatically that would be a problem. Your
user needs to be in the plugdev group (check with groups <username>),
hald and udev need to be properly installed and running. hald needs
certain libraries which may or may not be bugged, upgrade everything
involved to the latest version you can and try again.

That's just of the top of my head. Let us know if you make any progress. :-)

greets,
Wim

Hi Wim

I am a member of the plugdev group, hald and udev are all upgraded to the latest in Lenny and while the device does auto-mount, my query was more around why I no longer get an icon telling me that the device has auto-mounted on the Gnome desktop as I used to. I've checked the admin and preferences for Gnome and all seems to be fine. It isn't a biggie 'cos I can easily get around it, just more of a curiosity.

Andrew - earlier on in this thread I cited a web page that had some very helpful steps to making the FreeAgent drive work which seems to operate by periodically cycling it around to keep it "live". As for the driver, I was able to download the relevant driver for it from the Lenny/Testing repository so didn't need to use their proprietary driver anyway. It is surprising that, in this day and age, that a company like Seagate would deliberately decide to deprecate support for the evidently growing army of GNU/Linux users. Doesn't seem like a wise business choice really. Do you know if that covers all of Seagate's products or just the FreeAgent drive?

Cheers

Andy