Re: FreeAgent USB HDD (update)

On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 08:17:12AM -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> I've lost the beginnings of this thread, but there was a recent story
> about Seagate FreeAgent drives being (intentionally?) designed to
> *not* work with Linux.
>
> http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/12/09/0651200
>
> I actually emailed SeaGate as I've been using their drives very
> happily for a couple of years (can't beat 5yr warranty for the price)
> and was really disappointed by this development. I told them I
> wouldn't be buying/recommending seagate in the future. They actually
> bothered to respond! Something like: we're sorry, but we do offer a
> number of other drives that are fully compatible. basically
> sidestepping my questions and writing me off as a customer. oh well.

Its to do with the power management features of the drive. There is a
workaround:

sdparm --clear STANDBY -6 /dev/sd[Your device]

See:
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/DealWithAutoSpinDownOnSeagateFreeAgent
http://www.cgkreality.com/2007/11/27/seagate-freeagent-idle-under-linux/
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/12/06/seagate-snubs-linux

basically it just comes down to using sdparm to wipe out the idle flag
on the drive.

--
Chris.
======