Re: Preferred Backup Method?

On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 09:21:30AM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 12/07/07 07:45, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> >> wow, amazing how much larger the KDE implementation is than all the others..
> >> almost 50% larger than gnome, and more than twice the size of XFCE..
> >
> > They'll all be larger than a non-GUI OpenBSD since regular OBSD doesn't
> > have all the cruft (compiled against extra libs) that a linux system
> > does.  Any GUI then brings in far more libs than on linux.
>
> Can you explain that a bit?

I don't have hard data.  However, a while ago (couple of months?) there
was a discussion on running on a small hard drive and one of the DDs
mentioned that Debian did tend to link against more libs than other
distros.  I don't know which or why.  So, if a typical Debian
system, before installation of a GUI, already has libs installed as
dependancies of base or other packages, then installing the GUI will not
require a re-download or re-install of those already-installed libs.  A
typical OpenBSD install probably won't have those libs installed as part
of base and so will have to install them with the GUI.  This is one
reason why a GUI install on Debian may take less addition room than on
OpenBSD.

The other reason is that Debian gives you more granularity.  For
example, on OpenBSD there are two versions of Konqueror: one which is
for stand-alone use (doesn't depend on other KDE components) and a full
version which depends on lots of KDE stuff to give you all the possible
features of Konqueror.  Compare this with all the packages on Debian
that relate to adding features to Konq.

If you look at the list of packages for OpenBSD (see the web site; I
don't have the URL handy), you'll see similar choices for several
packages.  In fact, OpenBSD's pkg_add has the -i interactive option
whereby if you don't specify the version to install, it will prompt you.
You still have to refer to the package descriptions to get the details.

I hope its clear from this that I'm not complaining about anything, I'm
just observing the difference between the packaging philosophies.

Doug.