Re: Kernel (Enable PAE)

Márcio Luciano Donada:
> Jochen Schulz escreveu:
>>
>> What part of the message don't you understand?  You are trying to
>> install a kernel image in a version which you already have
>> installed. Overwriting the /lib/modules/<kernel version> directory
>> might be a bad idea and that's why you should probably move the
>> existing directory out of the way before installing the new one.
>> Just do that and everything will be fine.
>
> That, in fact the message left me a little concerned. For as I am
> already using the kernel, I thought that something might happen in the
> kernel

Yes, something /might/ happen when you overwrite existing modules and
keep running the old kernel. Loading of new modules might fail, for
example, so /if/ you simply overwrite the modules you should reboot as
soon as possible.

> and I lose the boot from the server, if this happens we will be
> without the mail server. So just move the 2.6.18 for a 2.6.18.old?

Yes. After that, install the new kernel deb and reboot. The kernel
package's maintainer scripts should take care that you boot loader is
configured correctly (you might want to double-check that before
reboot).

J.
--
People talking a foreign language are romantic and mysterious.
[Agree]   [Disagree]