Re: Re: Loosing internet after suspend

On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 09:42:17PM -0600, John Patton wrote:
> Okay. I have a regular ethernet card built into my laptop's motherboard.

> What i have done so far is make changes to the powersaved config
> scripts. I have instructed it to restart networking, acpid, and the
> firewall to no avail (before discovering that eth0 itself no longer
> existed in /dev). I then tried unloading and re-loading the module that
> my ethernet driver uses (natsemi), but that doesn't help.

how are you unloading and re-loading the module? see if you can
determine what modules natsemi relies on (modinfo) and remove those
modules as well. Then reinsert natsemi and see if that does the
trick.

you also might try udevtrigger to see if that picks it up.

> It seems to me that something in the boot process checks for the
> existence of that device (/dev/eth0) and creates it, but i can't figure
> out what that is. There must be some way to tell the kernel (or
> something) to create it! I just don't even know where to look though.
>
> Does MAKEDEV still work? My only thought is to manually create the
> device from the init.d/networking script if it doesn't exist, but that
> seems like a kludge and fragile besides. Basically i'm wondering if
> anybody knows of the proper way to do this.

probably what is happening is the network device and/or its driver is
not compliant with suspend2disk. So it's getting all messed up in the
process. YOu need to essentially reset the thing. I think you're on
the right track removing and reinserting that module, but I think you
need to take it farther and make sure you get the rest of it done. I
don't know a thing about that driver, but maybe it is loading some
firmware that doesn't get reloaded on the restart from suspend?