Anyone using Debian on notebook?

Hi list,

I've just switched back my dev box from OS X to Debian.
(I was used to be a Debian users but away from Debian for about 3 or
more years.)
OS X is great but Debian is so much better and easier in managing packages.
OS X has some alternative to APT, like Fink and MacPorts
but they are not official and packages is fewer than Debian's.
In addition, Debian provides clearner system, conf is in /etc, binary
is in /usr/bin.

So I'm thinking that I also switch my notebook's OS to Debian.
Before starting this switch, I like to hear some comments from
people who's using Debian on their notebook.
Is there any annoyance?

One thing I worry is battery management
where Apple's MacBook is very good at.
OS X's sleep mode is just works. I love it so much.

Thanks.