Re: Anyone using Debian on notebook?

On Dec 9, 2007 1:27 AM, js <ebgssth@gmail.com> wrote:
> So I'm thinking that I also switch my notebook's OS to Debian.
> Before starting this switch, I like to hear some comments from
> people who's using Debian on their notebook.
> Is there any annoyance?

You might want to subscribe to the debian-laptop list, since there
will be a lot of laptop-specific traffic there, and you might get more
prompt responses to questions.  That being said, I've been running
Debian sid on my Thinkpad T23 for several years, and I've been very
happy with it.  Laptops can be a mixed bag, hardware-wise, so it's
more likely that you'll run into an issue where there's no Free
driver.  If you've got all Intel hardware, this shouldn't be a
problem.

> One thing I worry is battery management
> where Apple's MacBook is very good at.
> OS X's sleep mode is just works. I love it so much.

Check out acpi, acpid, and acpitools.  Also powertop, which will help
you tweak your system to minimize wakeups-from-idle.  You can
configure acpid to respond to various events like function keys,
close-lid, and open-lid.  See /usr/share/doc/acpid.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh