Re: aptitude crashing x?

Daniel Burrows wrote:
On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 08:42:30AM -0500, Michael Pobega <pobega@gmail.com> was heard to say:
From what I remember you're generally not supposed to run any sort of
updates while in an X environment; If I were you I'd quit X and change
to TTY1 before administering any changes (Especially if the changes are
X.org or libX related)

  I always upgrade from within X.  I don't remember ever having serious
trouble, although I think Gnome/KDE and Firefox might have trouble.
Some display managers will kill your session when they're restarted --
but that hasn't happened to me in ages, so I guess either that was fixed
or it's suppressed on upgrade.

I have to agree.

I've used aptitude since 2004 and, despite noise on the lists to the contrary, I've never had a problem with it.

I've used both the ncurses interface, which I've found useful for package descriptions/searches/etc., and terminal interaction and never found a problem with either facility.
All this with X running on anything up to eleven windows.

I think the problem lies a little deeper, perhaps even hardware.
Regards,

David