Re: how do you convert Windows User to Linux

On 07/12/2007, tekant ozer <tekant@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi
> Im a Windows user. just bit acquaintance with Linux from Univ years. My
> computer background is not bad. Ive been usin it since Commodore64 and DOS
> years.
> Couple of times attempted for Linux but its very confusing..
>
> Last year I wanted to setup a personal Web server in my attic.  I wanted to
> install Debian and Apache but I gave up and turn to Windows.
> now server 2000 and IIS working.
> ( Why Debian? I like its name, also my friend recommended many years ago)
> There is couple of reason. if  you can help me, maybe you can make me a
> Linux user
>
> The system is old. Dual PIII with 440M/B. Dual Hotswap PSU. about 730Mb ECC.
> Dell Perf Quad 64bit Raid with 128Mb daughterBrd. 5 SCSI in Hotswp Cage.
> TapeDrv, DVD, floppy etc..
> No problem with Hardware except wireless card. godd**n Airlink 101 card  .
> There was a limited wireless no support for this card at that time. I tried
> some generic drivers which I found on some linux sites. I dont know  how is
> it now.

All that hardware should be supported perfectly in Debian or any other
Linux distro, with the exception of the wireless card as you already
know.

> Then I needed Remoteadmin program like Famatech's Remote Administrator.
> something let me to see remote desktop visually (from windows machine).

I recommend VNC. There are alternatives, but to save you confusion, I
won't mention them.

> last problem was multiple-choice-linux's itsef. many desktop, many tool
> "where is that button?. I used it before. wait im confused. it was another
> program to do same thing. this is better for that but other was better for
> this". I usually go far from my target while I was finding/trying/reading.

The newest versions of the Linux desktops are much more ergonomic
(easy to use) than previous versions. I think that you will find them
easier to use than Windows.

> Now I need some advices.
> - which wireless? should I throw the card. or different linux is a solution.
>  ( or maybe piece of cake with newest Debian release should I try it again?
> )

As another poster before me mentioned, boot a Kubuntu LiveCD and test.
You might find that your wireless card is in fact supported. I was
surprised that mine was.

> -is there any easy to use remote admin desktop solution which accept me to
> reach from windows platform to Linux ?

Yes, VNC for graphical remote logins, and SSH for text (console). The
standard Windows SHH client is called Putty.

> - which desktop, which web, tools? Or should I forget desktop desktop,
> visual everything and go for old style Telnet? I want minimal configuration.
> so I need advice about package content.

You don't mean telnet, you mean CLI (Command Line Interface). If all
you intend is to run apache, then the CLI would be fine. If you want a
desktop machine, then you will need a desktop. I recommend KDE for
Windows users. There are alternatives.

> briefly thats the story .Thanks for your patience. waiting for you advices

Any time.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il