Re: how do you convert Windows User to Linux

On Dec 7, 2007 1:22 PM, tekant ozer <tekant@yahoo.com> wrote:

<snip>

> No problem with Hardware except wireless card. godd**n Airlink 101 card  .
> There was a limited wireless no support for this card at that time. I tried
> some generic drivers which I found on some linux sites. I dont know  how is
> it now.

What model is your card? Different cards from the same company may use
different chips, and that is what determines if it is supported.

> Then I needed Remoteadmin program like Famatech's Remote Administrator.
> something let me to see remote desktop visually (from windows machine).

For remote admin, many Linux users, including myself, use SSH (Putty
on Windows) . If you want a GUI, there are several choices, including
remote desktop, VNC, and my favorite, NX. NoMachine's NX uses the
X protocol and compresses and encrypts it.

<snip>
> - which desktop, which web, tools? Or should I forget desktop desktop,
> visual everything and go for old style Telnet? I want minimal configuration.
> so I need advice about package content.

A minimal server config would usually mean just the command line (and
SSH not Telnet). For many people getting started in Linux, that is
intimidating. You could try a minimal Window Manager, like IceWM or
Fluxbox. It really depends on what you want out of it.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers