Re: how do you convert Windows User to Linux

tekant ozer wrote:
The system is old. Dual PIII with 440M/B. Dual Hotswap PSU. about 730Mb ECC. Dell Perf Quad 64bit Raid with 128Mb daughterBrd. 5 SCSI in Hotswp Cage. TapeDrv, DVD, floppy etc.. No problem with Hardware except wireless card. godd**n Airlink 101 card . There was a limited wireless no support for this card at that time. I tried some generic drivers which I found on some linux sites. I dont know how is it now.

Then I needed Remoteadmin program like Famatech's Remote Administrator. something let me to see remote desktop visually (from windows machine).

last problem was multiple-choice-linux's itsef. many desktop, many tool "where is that button?. I used it before. wait im confused. it was another program to do same thing. this is better for that but other was better for this". I usually go far from my target while I was finding/trying/reading.

Now I need some advices.
- which wireless? should I throw the card. or different linux is a solution. ( or maybe piece of cake with newest Debian release should I try it again? )

I'd burn a Knoppix or Kubuntu LiveCD and boot off of it to see if it picks up your wireless (I doubt Knoppix will; Kubuntu _might_; wireless is generally a pain no matter what). That might give you a good feel for how well your hardware will be supported by the newer versions of Debian.

As far as remote administration goes, ssh or remote X sessions do fine for a lot of people. You're probably expecting to remote-control the same desktop you'd see while sitting at the computer itself, which I believe is possible, but I've never done. The *nix way of doing it is usually to have a local session (X or text) and a remote session (X or text).

Sorry I don't know off the top of my head if your wireless card will work with Debian. If no one replies within a few hours on this list, your best bet might be to google for your card and debian and/or linux. Generally you're more interested in the wireless card's chipset than in the model number and brand name.

--
Kent