Re: Preferred Backup Method?

On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 03:21:20PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 12/05/07 10:12, Michael Pobega wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 08:29:03PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> [snip]
> >> Plain old "date"?  No.  I prefer `date +%y%m%d.%H%M`.
> >

> > I'm trying to write a shell script to use tar for backups, but I want to
> > know; Which directories are nessecary to backup with tar and which
> > aren't? Obviously /bin, /usr, /home, /boot, /lib, /srv (Where I keep
> > all of my chroots) and /etc are, but are any of the other directories
> > mandatory to backup? Or are any of these directories fruitless to
> > backup?
> Did you get the script I attached to the email you replied to?  It
> works like a champ for me.

I got it, but although that script may work for you it's too particular
of a use; I have a lot of files I need to backup, so it'd be better for
me to backup everything manually myself.

My shell script works, but I keep running out of disc space; Does anyone
know if there's a way I can transfer the file over to my other laptop
once it's done tarring (Effectively removing the need for a /backup dir
on my HDD?) Once I hit 13G on my root partition I run out of room.

My shell script it attached.

If programmers deserve to be rewarded for creating innovative
programs, by the same token they deserve to be punished if they
restrict the use of these programs.
 - Richard Stallman