Re: Preferred Backup Method?

On 12/04/07 16:19, Michael Pobega wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 04:04:47PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
>> On 12/04/07 15:09, Michael Pobega wrote:
>>> What is d-u's preferred method of backups? Now that I'm running servers
>>> on my system (Apache, MySQL, SSH, etc.) I need to find a good method of
>>> backing up, because no matter how much security someone has things may
>>> still go wrong.
>>>
>>> So list your preferred methods of creating/restoring backups and the
>>> pros and cons. Thanks!
>> *Much* more information needed.
>

> Sorry, I wasn't thinking.
>
>> How much stuff?  50MB?  5GB?  500GB?  5TB?
>

> 80GB HDD. It isn't full, of course, but that's the maximum (Currently
> about 45 GB)
>
>> How compressible is it?  Text/MySQL files or MP3s and JPGs?
>

> I wouldn't know the answer to that questions.

MySQL dumps are compressible (unless it's compressed during the dump
phase).  Text is compressible.  OOo, AbiWord, Gnumeric, etc aren't.

>> How important is it?  Your own stuff, or a business' stuff?
>

> It's pretty important; It's my own stuff, it has all of my school work,
> programming work, pictures, videos, and configuration files on it.

Pictures and video obviously aren't compressible.

>> How big of a window do you have to back it up?  30 minutes at 23:15,
>> and you're fired if it goes past midnight?  All night between 17:30
>> and 07:30?
>

> A weekly night-backup would be my preferred method.

Perfectly adequate for home use.

>> How often will the lusers will "Michael, this stupid computer ate my
>> work.  Bring it back!!" (Meaning, of course, that they
>> stupidly/carelessly deleted/overwrote it.)  If it's a database, will
>> the developers want regular copies restored for testing?
>

> It's just my own stuff...The odds are probably low of someone deleting
> my work by accident, but better safe than sorry.

Tar (or rsync) your source trees on an hourly basis to a totally
separate directory.  Volatile stuff needs to be saved frequently.

>> Frequency?  Nightly, weekly, every-other-day?
>

> Weekly.
>
>> Retention?  Keep backups for a month?  Quarter?  Year?  7 years?
>

> I'd probably keep backups for two weeks, so I've have two backups at any
> given time.
>
>> Budget?  Always a killer...
>

> I have another laptop sitting around with a 60GB HDD; Could I use that
> as a backup?
>
> Otherwise all I have is a 4GB pendrive and no money (But I could get my
> hands on an 80GB External HDD easily)

3 weeks till Santa-bot tries to trim the tree with your entrails and
deck the halls with your guts.  I'm sure he could hurl an empty
external case or two at you.

>> As for backing it up, tar.  Works like a champ.
>

> Just `tar -cvvf backup-`date`.tar /`? Is it really that simple?

Plain old "date"?  No.  I prefer `date +%y%m%d.%H%M`.

Attached is my backup shell script.  Modify it for your own
purposes.  (Note that my login name is "me", and user "heather" is
out there too.)

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

%SYSTEM-F-FISH, my hovercraft is full of eels