Re: Preferred Backup Method?

On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 04:22:42PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 12/04/07 16:01, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > less frequent burn to tiny CD-R to fit in the Bank's Safety Deposit Box.
> >
> > Before I go away anywhere (i.e. out of town), I copy the most important
> > of the backup to a 4 GB USB stick.
> >
> > This means that I have a separate directory called "essential_backup"
> > with a symlink in each user's home directory.  They are to place a
> > symlink of any critical data in that directory.  That directory is
> > tarred up (following the symlinks) very frequently indeed and propogated
> > to the other box immediatly.
> >
> > The regular stuff is tarred up (tgz) and split to 650 MB size e.g.
> > backup.tgz.aa to fit on CD-Rs.
>
> That's good for personal use (I do something similar, but send it
> off to an external drive), but not adequate for a server.

After that backup.tbz is made, I rsync it to another box.  Its the main
box that has the burner.

> > If security of the backups is required (other than physical security of
> > the media), then I use openssl to encrypt it with an unencrypted README
> > file, with the commands used to encrypt and decrypt (minus the actual
> > password), included on each backup media.
>
> How do you do that?  (I'd have uses gpg.)

Just doing a quick look around, gpg is bigger and needs some setup, also
isn't available easily or by default on as many systems.
OpenSSL is dead simple if you've go the binary.  Eg: lets say you want
to encrypt with blowfish:

openssl bf -a -e -salt -in file -out file.bf

It prompts for passphrase

To decrypt:

openssl bf -a -d -salt in file.bf -out file